UNCOVERED INTERVIEWS: Cathy Bramley

Cathy Bramley is a bestselling romantic comedy author who has brought us Ivy Lane, Wickham Hall and Unconditional Love. Her latest book, The Plumberry School of Comfort Food, is out now. Cathy joins us for today's Q&A to share more about her writing, inspiration, and tips.

Tell us about your latest novel in 15 words or less.
Verity regains her passion for life at the cookery school by learning to love again.

What inspired you to write The Plumberry School of Comfort Food?
A good friend of mine, Lucy, owns a cookery school called LucyCooks in the Lake District. It is a wonderful place to spend time, very good for the soul. I first went there ten years ago and when I became a writer, I knew it would be a great place to set a book.

Where do you do most of your writing?
I have an office in my house, where I and my dog Pearl spend most of our time. But when the family are at home and I need to concentrate, I go to the top of the garden to the treehouse and type amongst the damson trees.

What is your favourite book?
I don’t think I have a favourite book, but I've never read a book by Marian Keyes which I didn’t totally adore.

Which part of The Plumberry School of Comfort Food did you enjoy writing the most?
I write most of my novels in four parts, which are released individually digitally. I love writing like this because in my head each part is like an episode of a TV series. Usually a part has around ten chapters and the last two are always very exciting to write because I’m working up to a climax. I guess in The Plumberry School of Comfort Food I liked writing the section where the TV crew comes to Plumberry – that was great fun.

Who is your favourite literary heroine?
I’d probably say Marian Keyes’ Mammy Walsh. Elizabeth Bennet is a bit of a star, I also like Miss Marple and George from The Famous Five.

Do you have any tips for readers who are looking to become published writers?
Good writing is about practice, so don’t expect it to be brilliant first time, or even second time for that matter. Read good books and try and work out what is good about them. But most of all, write, write, write.

Are you working on anything else at the moment and if so, can you tell us?
I’m always working on something! I've just finished my Christmas novella Comfort and Joy, out in October, I’m editing The Lemon Tree Café, part one will be out in March and I’ve just sent back the copy-edits for White Lies and Wishes, out in January (this one won’t be serialised). And my head is starting to form a new idea for the next one…

Thanks, Cathy!

You can find out more about Cathy on her website and Twitter.

The Plumberry School of Comfort Food by Cathy Bramley

Verity Bloom hasn't been interested in cooking anything more complicated than the perfect fish finger sandwich, ever since she lost her best friend and baking companion two years ago.

But an opportunity to help a friend lands her right back in the heart of the kitchen. The Plumberry School of Comfort Food is due to open in a few weeks' time and needs the kind of great ideas that only Verity could cook up. And with new friendships bubbling and a sprinkling of romance in the mix, Verity finally begins to feel like she's home.

But when tragedy strikes at the very heart of the cookery school, can Verity find the magic ingredient for Plumberry while still writing her own recipe for happiness?

No comments