UNCOVERED INTERVIEWS: Allison Morgan

Allison Morgan, author of The Someday Jar, joins us this week for a Q&A about her new novel Can I See You Again, in which successful matchmaker Bree finds her own love life in trouble...

Tell us about your latest novel in 15 words or less.
A matchmaker who’s an expert at matters of the heart—except when it comes to her own...

What inspired you to write Can I See You Again?
I thought it'd be fun to write about a secure, confident character who's thrown into a situation where's she's anything but confident or secure. I find as I grow older, my comfort zone is shrinking. So, I wanted to write about a woman who steps out (or is forced out) of her comfort zone. Sometimes we need to get out of our own way and enjoy life.

Where do you do most of your writing?
Hmmm...wherever and whenever. I'd be much more organized and efficient if I had a specific time and place for writing. But, life gets in the way. So, I write at the kitchen counter, on the couch, in bed...whenever and wherever I have the chance. The only thing consistent about my writing is there's always a cup of green tea nearby. And, Chips Ahoy (obviously).

What is your favourite book?
I have two: This I Believe. It's a lovely compilation from eighty people writing about their beliefs - political, religious, moral, family, you name it. The book made me think about my own beliefs and how I've come to them. I also enjoyed Humans of New York. Not only are the author's photographs captivating, but his subjects share their stories. It's inspiring to know we live among such truly remarkable individuals.

Which part of Can I See You Again did you enjoy writing the most?
The Tough Mudder scene was my favorite. A few years ago, I foolishly agreed to attempt a similar 12-mile obstacle course/run with a group of friends. It was torture. But, I have to admit, it was one of the funnest (and muddiest) things I've ever done. Not to mention, the well-deserved beer at the end tasted like heaven-in-a-cup. I enjoyed reliving that day when writing that particular chapter.

Who is your favourite literary heroine?
Honestly, I don't have a specific favorite, except to say I enjoy fun-loving, self-deprecating characters that don't take themselves or life too seriously. If a character can justify their actions, regardless how outlandish, then I'm hooked.

Do you have any tips for readers who are looking to become published writers? 
I know this is such a cliché, but do not give up. DO. NOT. GIVE. UP. Also, I found entering writing contests (listed toward the back of writer's magazines) very beneficial because the nominal entry fee typically includes first-impression feedback on the submission. So, for $10 or $20, an author can receive candid (and, sometimes harsh) comments. This objectivity helped clarify my weaknesses in my opening pages.

Are you working on anything else at the moment and if so, can you tell us?
I'm tossing a few ideas around with my agent. Nothing decided yet. Hopefully soon.

Thanks, Allison!

To find out more about Allison Morgan, you can follow her on Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram.

Can I See You Again? by Allison Morgan
Matchmaker Bree Caxton has a 98% success rate, a book about to hit the stands, and an amazing boyfriend. Until, that is, he gets cold feet about their future and runs from their relationship.
Afraid no one will buy a book on love from a woman whose love life is a mess, Bree begs her one matchmaking failure, Nixon Voss, to pose as her boyfriend. But when they become a hit with readers, they must carry on their charade just a little longer. Fortunately, they’re both having fun...

But then Bree’s ex decides he wants her back and a newspaper presents a challenge that could expose the truth about her rocky love life. Now she must find the courage to embrace what is, or risk losing something much bigger than her reputation: her heart... 

No comments