BOOK REVIEW: Rebound by Aga Lesiewicz

I'm a fan of thrillers and was intrigued when I received a copy of Rebound by former TV producer Aga Lesiewicz. Published by Pan Macmillan last month, Rebound is Aga's debut novel.

Anna has an enviable life; a brilliant job as a media executive, a house in London. Best friend Bell. Freedom. Having just ended her relationship with boyfriend James, Anna focuses on work - especially with the big changes that are ahead - her best friend Bell, and her hobby, running on the Heath with beloved dog Wispa.

One evening she meets a mysterious stranger whilst out jogging, leading to an encounter that makes her question her own morals. And it doesn't stop - Anna can't seem to keep away from the unnamed man she dubs 'the Dior Man' - someone she can't stop thinking about, even though she knows that the whole situation is not only wrong, but very dangerous.

Especially when there's a sudden influx of crimes around the Heath.

Meanwhile, Anna meets some new neighbours, which is when things start to get creepy. It soon becomes apparent that Anna is not safe, but with no idea as to who is responsible for the recent goings-on, Anna seemingly has nowhere to turn.

I'll stop before I go into any potential spoilers, but I will say that Rebound was an enjoyable read, apart from one thing - I didn't like Anna at all. I didn't from the start, which is why it took me a couple of chapters to really get into the novel, although I'm very glad I did. Anna comes across as an extremely shallow individual. The decisions she makes throughout the book are dangerous and rather unbelievable for an apparently intelligent individual; she doesn't seem to realise that she's risking her own life. Her attitudes and decision-making after a shocking event in the book (I won't spoil it, but it's very intense) made me sigh with disbelief. Not only that, but Anna seems to believe that every male she comes into contact with is attracted to her. It got to a point where I wanted to find out who was behind what was happening to her, but as for Anna herself, I didn't really care.

The ending was, for me, a bit disappointing, however in terms of pace and plot, Rebound is rather addictive - I soon found it hard to put down. This is Aga's debut and I would certainly read more of her work.

Rating: 3/5

No comments